Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Chapter Eight

In this chapter, Okonkwo feels bad because he murdered Ikemefuna. He tries to drink himself into oblivion and he barely eats anything. I do not feel at all sorry for him. He was warned ahead of time not to have any part in the murder, but he ignored the warning. His guilt is rightfully his. He goes to his friend Obierika's house to visit. Ofoedu comes to Obierika's house to tell them that Ndulue died and his wife died after calling his name three times. I don't really know what the purpose of this section was. Maybe it will have some meaning later on in the book. I did learn that the wife must be buried before her husband. I thought that was kind of strange. I would think that the one who died first would be buried first, but I guess not.

When Okonkwo returns to Obierika's house, he is meeting with his daughter's suitor and his father. They discussed other tribes traditions of settling a bride price. They settle the bride price with sticks. I also found it kind of odd that they do not talk about why they are there until after they have all finished drinking. That would really irritate me because I like to get right to the point.

3 comments:

Elaina said...

I was relieved that he felt bad about the murder of Ikemefuna. He had no right going there and being part of the murder. I hope Ikemefuna will haunt his dreams and life for a very long time until Okonkwo can not take it anymore.

Special-K said...

I could not believe that Okonkwo could do that to Ikemefuna after having stated that he was starting to like him. If Okonkwo did not feel bad about killing Ikemefuna then something is seriously wrong with him.

xoxsara said...

I think killing Ikemefuna was the wrong thing to do too. I never felt sorry for him, because I think if he really cared for Ikemefuna he wouldn't have killed him.