Thursday, January 24, 2008

Chapter Five

Chapter five is a fairly short chapter. In the beginning, a little is learned about the Umoubia festivals. They have the Feast of the New Yam. This is a celebration in which the people give thanks to Ani, the earth goddess. During this festival, they throw out all of their old yams and are only allowed to eat new ones. I think this is a little harsh. What do the families who have very little do? Are they really expected to throw out all of their old yams? Okonkwo's temper is also displayed in this chapter. He beat his wife because she cut some leaves off of a banana tree. I also learned that he is not a very good hunter, especially considering that he shot at his wife from fairly close range and missed. However, I also found this kind of strange. I realize that it is their custom to beat their wives, but shooting at them? I think someone should have intervened. The first day of feasting has begun, and the next day there will be a wrestling contest.

4 comments:

Garvey said...

I agree with a lot of this. I wonder if any of the poorer people somehow kept their old yams anyways? And yea, his temper is very evident in this chapter. I think sooner or later it is really going to get him into trouble.

Irish said...

Clearly we can deduce from this chapter that Oknonkwo is out of control with his temper. No society would tolerate shooting at your own wife (and missing). This comes during the "week of peace", which forces a penalty upon Okonkwo.

You will see later in the book that his temper will prove to be a major problem.

Mr. Farrell

Elaina said...

Yeah I agree with you.. I can not believe he shot at his wife, sure beating but shooting that is crazy. That is a good question about the yams. Do the poor people really throw all their old yams away hmmm..

xoxsara said...

I don't agree with throwing out the yams either. If their is a famliy that is poor and they have very little food and many children to supply for I don't think they should be punished.