Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Chapter Two

Chapter two describes how Ikemefuna came to live with Okonkwo and his family. I learned that the Umuofia people are extremely superstitious. They do not go outside at night unless it is a moonlight night (I assume that means when there is a full moon). They have a grave fear of the evil spirits, and believe that animals are even more wicked at night. Ikemefuna was brought to the village because the wife of Udo was murdered by his people. In order to avoid war, his people had to send a man and a virgin to the Umuofia. Because his father took part in the murder of Udo's wife. I think that I would have chosen to give up two people rather than face a war if I had been in that position.
Chapter two also describes Okonkwo's evil ways and his no-nonsense character. It also gives background information on the Umuofia people.

2 comments:

xoxsara said...

I am glad you described who Ikemefuna was, because I was kind of confused when i read this chapter. I guess i missed why he was there. All i knew was that he was living with Okonkwo and his family. I agree 100% when you said you would chose to send two people rather than to face war. I would not want to go to war under any circumstances.

Deryk said...

I agree with sara I was kind of confuse about Ikemefuna's life two. I didn't understand exactly why they chose him. And give up two people versus war, I agree, take the two people, who ever you want, just don't start the war. I would be fully cooperative.