Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sold (102-152)

I know that stuff like this really happens, but I think the details tend to be swept under the rug. The topic seems to be taboo. I cannot even imagine what Lakshmi and the other girls must be going through. I think some of the girls have just been hardened, like Monica, but others, like Shahanna, are still in pain over what they are going through.

It is hard to imagine that there is even a market for this, and not just in India, but all over the world. I do not think that words can even begin to describe what these girls are going through. And I do not see how someone like Mumtaz could do what she does. I wonder if she was sold into slavery as a child, or if she is just calloused and greedy? Science has been finding that some serial killers have something mentally wrong, maybe the same could be said of Mumtaz and others like her. I also do not see how the men could go there, knowing that these women are being held captive, whether by fear, insufficiency, or actual slavery.

I wonder if Ama and Lakshmi's stepfather knew what they were doing to her, or if they actually thought that she was going to be a maid? I also wonder if the same thing happened to Gita, or if there are legitimate jobs in the cities for young girls. I would like to think that girls like Lakishma are in the minority, but I kind of doubt it. I wonder if she is going to somehow get out from under Mumtaz's bondage, or if she will remain there for the rest of her life?

2 comments:

~Megan~ said...

I wondered about Gita too. I tend to think she is actually a maid, because it doesn't seem like Lakshmi's family is going to get any money until she pays off Mumtaz. Gita's family was getting money, that is how they got a tin roof. I'm not totally sure about that though. I wondered about whether or not Ama and her stepfather knew what they were doing. I do not think that Ama had any clue about what was about to happen to her daughter. However, I think Lakshmi's stepfather might have known. When he was selling her to Auntie Bilma, she said that her hips were very small. He did not argue with this or even question whether or not this was important. Lakshmi wasn't his daughter, and I think all that mattered to him was getting as much as he could out of her, not what kind of work she would be doing.

Irish said...

Good, you mention some of the other characters (Girls) in the house. I totally agree with your thoughts about how these women have been put through hell, and they have little choice but to adapt to their surroundings.

Mumtaz is a profiteer of Child prostitution. I was so proud of Lakshmi holding out and refusing to go along with this whole thing. Then when Mumtaz drugs her, and breaks her will, it is so sad.

I kept hoping Lakshmi would escape or run away some how. That or I kept hoping to police might come in and save the day...

Good comments, you have great insights.

Mr. Farrell