Thursday, February 7, 2008

Chapter Thirteen

Chapter thirteen starts out with the ekwe ringing. It said that all of the men learned to speak the language of the ekwe, which is basically a drum. It announced to the villages that Ezeudu had died. This kind of freaked Okonkwo out because he was the one that warned him not to take part in Ikemefuna's death. The funeral was a big deal and all of the clan attended. Even some of the egwugwu came occassionally. These people seem to have great respect for the elderly. I wonder if it could be because they do not live very long? Those men with titles could only be buried after dark. I think it is kind of weird that they take so much care about when and where and how someone is to be buried. Personally I don't really care if someone is buried in the morning or in the afternoon. The men shoot guns and cannons as kind of a final farewell to the dead. As they were doing this, Okonkwo's gun exploded and killed Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son. Do they ever stop having kids, I mean Ezeudu was the oldest man in the village....kind of creepy. This was considered a female crime, so Okonkwo only had to live in exile for seven years rather than his whole life. He packed up his family and most valuable possessions and fled to the village of his mother, Mbanta. In the morning, a crowd of men came and burned down Okonkwo's compound.

1 comment:

Irish said...

You wrote: "These people seem to have great respect for the elderly."

That is true. Elders seem to be the tribal leaders. Too bad they don't show their women any respect though! I think you are right, old people don't last long, so they must be something special if they do.

You wrote:
"I think it is kind of weird that they take so much care about when and where and how someone is to be buried. Personally I don't really care if someone is buried in the morning or in the afternoon."

In our own culture, it makes BIG difference. We can't bury dead people wherever, since grave yards must be used. We also are allowed to bury people on a Sunday or at night. Each culture has its own laws for whatever reasons.

Achebe really mixes it up here. I never saw the gun going off, and the 7 year exile really comes as a shock. Then again, is this all still Karma from Okonkwo's previous actions?

Mr. Farrell