I think the common theme in these four stories had something to do with disappointment between parents and their children. In "The Life You Save May Be Your Own" I think the old woman is kind of disappointed in Lucynell. Although she doesn't say this, I think her circumstances cause her to want someone else to take care of her, which leads to her trying so desperately to get her to marry.
Waverly disappoints her mom in "Rules of the Game" by being embarrassed by her. I also think her brothers disappoint her mother somewhat because they are not as good as Waverly is. In "The Book of the Dead," Annie's father failed her by lying to her for so long and by destroying her statue. These failures both led to her disappointment in her father. Matt and Miriam, as well as the principal and teachers, are all disappointed by Donny in "Teenage Wasteland." His bad grades and lack of effort cause this disappointment. In a way I think his parents disappoint him and his sister as well because they do not give them enough attention.
Today, there is a lot of disappointment in the world. Everyone makes a mistake at some point in their life that causes someone else pain. Oftentimes, I think this disappointment comes from either a parent or a child. Maybe it is because they're around each other the most, or they're dependent upon each other more than other people? I don't really know. I do, however, know that everyone causes disappointment and are disappointed sometimes. These stories gave different examples of how this disappointment can both begin and turn out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with you on the disappointment thing. In every story all of the kids seemed to let their parents down by not living up to their expectations, disrespecting them, or both. The kids weren't always the ones to blame though. Sometimes it seemed like it was the parents fault. Like with Donny and his parents. They basically allowed him to become a slacker by not threatening him with any punishments. They were just setting themselves up for dissapointment. But it seems like anytime a child, or anyone for that matter, is set up on a pedastol, someone is going to be let down. We can't always meet everyone's expectations.
Post a Comment